Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Why Didn't I Plant Winter Lettuce???

I'm so bummed.  If I had realized it was going to be this balmy all the way to January, I'd have put in winter lettuce.  <sigh>

After the frigid drops last year, which blasted all my hopeful lettuce plants, I had decided not to bother.  Now that the farmers markets have closed and I'm looking forlornly at supermarket lettuce, I'm thoroughly peeved that I didn't put a few rows of lettuce in one of the raised beds and take my chances.

Drat.  A good harvest missed!  Is anyone getting a wonderful lettuce/greens season in?  The local farm stands were still full when the season ended last week.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sorry to hear you missed out on planting salad greens. I have been doing winter planting of spinach, mustard, asian, aragula, mesculin greens for the last 3 years or so the varieties are my favorites here in Connecticut. they are extremely tolerant to severe weather conditions provided you offer some protection to them. The harvests the next 4 or 5 weeks will be limited a bit, but as soon as day length increases around early february they will all start growing like crazy last year we we're picking about 3 lbs a week. This year I have more than double the amount of beds planted. Are you overwintering any vegetables for early spring harvest? Good luck with your endeavour. One great thing about having some veggies in winter is that there are NO bugs or slugs to deal with

    ReplyDelete

The sharing of ideas, experience and helpful information between one gardener and another has always been the very best of gardening traditions.