Thursday, April 26, 2012

It is Spring! Where is the Gardener???

So now April has vanished and I don't even know what's happening in my poor, neglected gardens!  Seems like every "good" moment, I'm off bicycling to fulfill this commitment to biking 200 miles on my 60th birthday.  I've actually decided to hire HELP in clearing the last of the winter weeds and spreading fresh mulch.

Law. Where's my botanical sense??
But there are lovely things happening without any 'interference' from me.

Here's a beautiful outburst worth sharing, blooming without attention along the front fence.  This is "One of the loveliest of all the Viburnums, kern-s-pink-up-close.jpg'Kern's Pink' (Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosum 'Kern's Pink') features bronze-tinged foliage and delicate, soft-pink flowers in May. In full sun or partial shade it can grow to 10 feet tall and 8 feet wide. In time some flower clusters will be pink, some white, and others mixed pink and white." (Description courtesy of Ozark Gardens website - a great place for you viburnum lovers.)


A closeup of the blossoms on my bush - pretty lovely, eh?
Meanwhile, my old giant honking viburnum - the one I keep meaning to prune every winter - is heaving huge blossom clusters over my head - I swear they get larger every year.  Take a look:




You have to love the magic that makes these things happen - whether you are right there fussing over the plants or not.  It's a beautiful day outside - I hope everyone is out playing in the garden!

3 comments:

  1. I love the "old giant honking viburnum"! Do you happen to know what species and variety is is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Laura! This is the old Southern "Snowball Viburnum", one of the traditional "pass-along plants" the moves through neighborhoods, friendships and generations by gifts of cuttings. Technically, it's Viburnam macrocephalum (meaning 'big head', which the blossoms certainly are). I doubt mine has any variety name, although in more recent years someone may have hybridized the species for marketing reasons. It roots easily from semi-dormant and greenwood cuttings. Want some?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for some native viburnums for my yard. This one is from China, unfortunately. But I'm thinking that maybe by now some native species have been selected for extra large blooms. And it's always good to know if any variety is doing particularly well in a region. I haven't put too much time into this search, so they might not be too hard to find. Not sure.

    ReplyDelete

The sharing of ideas, experience and helpful information between one gardener and another has always been the very best of gardening traditions.