Friday, February 24, 2012

Who Are All These Wonderful Figgy People???

I am just overwhelmed with the wonderful response to my crazy fig cutting offer!  I can tell you right now that this insanity will be all over by the end of this weekend - we have hundreds of cuttings to take!  Folks have responded so amazingly - - I'm wading through all of the donations and requests for figs right now.  We have raised several HUNDRED dollars already today and we may be even higher when I get all of this wrapped up, thanks to your donations.  Ya'll are wonderful - and a special, special thank you to those warm-hearted souls who donated over and above the $20 request to help the girls at  San Mar.  These are kids who didn't have much of a chance without this special place and programs, so it means a lot.  I think I will be writing all of your names on my tour shirt - - and I expect "baby" photos sent back at the cuttings take hold.

I updated the earlier blog post that had the offer (probably just below this one on your computer screen) to show what's already been snapped up.  Whew!  What a whirlwind!  This is just more fun than fundraising should be.  At this time all donations are "disabled" - I'll post word if there are cuttings still available.  Looks like we're going to be down to Alma and Celeste by Sunday.

Hugs to all of you,

Sybil

5 comments:

  1. And, as most of you already know, that was The End of the fig cuttings and all are being sent out. With our warm weather, this worked out just in time, for everything is budding and leafing out quite early in response to our warmer-than-normal winter! Thanks again, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sybil, I am looking for fig cutting, Italian Honey or Battalagia Green. I am one of the fig guys that donated your bike ride last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Dennis!


    How nice to hear from you!

    That fundraiser was our last blast of fig cuttings - I whacked back our personal fig bushes to provide the cuttings, since we are out of the fig nursery business. It was a terrific experience and all of you who contributed really made the event special! The San Mar Children's Home is an exceptional place and one deserving of our support. It also felt great to get cuttings out to a great bunch of fig lovers before we leave the farm.


    That said, I sadly fear this means your cuttings didn't take? You might be able to get cuttings from Jon Verdick over at the Figs4Fun.com website. He's got one of the most outstanding, if not THE outstanding, collection I know of and he's a great guy!

    I didn't save all the addresses from Paypal - are you local to Hampton Roads?

    Sybil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sybil, the cuttings you send did strike! But I did not request any Italian Honey cuttings. I know Jon personally. We've teamed up over the past 2 yrs and visited UC Davis. I got cuttings coming from Jon coming soon. Based on Jon's pictures of your Italian Honey, yours looks the best. I think I still have your email address. I'll send you some pics of my young trees this Spring. Thanks again! Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dennis, that would be terrific! I'm jealous that you get to go "fig exploring" with Jon. As you probably know, UCD cuttings are not clean of mosaic - in fact, one year we had to destroy hundreds of fig seedlings here at the nursery because they became infected in the hoop house from young figs I'd started from UCS cuttings. Usually, I kept all incoming figlets quarantined but hadn't been as cautious with the UCD stock, assuming that since it was from the USDA germplasm collection, I could assume (that terrible word) that it was clean. My lesson. Cost us a big chunk of our income for the season but we were trying to protect our customers. Unfortunately, after that, I never felt I could guarantee that we were 100% clean of the virus. Until then it had not been found in our area. What a shame. Sadly, Sybil

    ReplyDelete

The sharing of ideas, experience and helpful information between one gardener and another has always been the very best of gardening traditions.