Saturday, January 21, 2012

Imperial Star Artichoke Plants!

Every spring I love to check out at least one nursery that is new to me, and to try out a product I have never ordered before.

I love fresh artichokes and I've had great luck with Imperial Star, which has produced wonderful harvest of 'chokes here in Virginia Beach, so when I saw that The Natural Gardening Company catalog included Imperial Start plants I had to have some.

Normally, I have to start the seeds early enough that they are hardy enough to go out for a chill couple of weeks before being planted out, thereby fooling the biennial genes in the artichoke into thinking it just enjoyed the world's shortest winter.  Even so, I've generally had to winter them over to get a big harvest.

My plan is to get these seedlings, toughen them up a bit so that they are good and sturdy, then let them sojourn in the chilly spring sunshine before planting out into the garden bed.

Just one more step in my plan to become a wildly efficient gardener this year.

3 comments:

  1. Sybil,
    I know this is an old post, but I'm hoping you'll see this comment. I've tried for 3 years now to grow artichokes. I can never seem to get them to grow well at all, and they never survive the winter. I've tried both in the ground (double dug) and in raised beds. I'd like to give it one more go, perhaps in a large pot that I can move into the garage over the winter. Would you be willing to do a post sometime about how you grow them and their requirements (water, soil, fertilizer, etc)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I'll move it to the top of my list. I LOVE Imperial Star artichokes and I'm worried because we are only now getting the greenhouse redone and that means seeding will be LATE. I have overwintered them here but I'll save all my usual long-winded details for the full post! You can SO do this! - Sybil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I look forward to it! I do love artichokes!

    ReplyDelete

The sharing of ideas, experience and helpful information between one gardener and another has always been the very best of gardening traditions.