Friday, July 29, 2011

Loquat Seeds - the beautiful harvest

 Behold the most beautiful seeds in my personal plant kingdom!

These are Loquat seeds (Eriobotrya japonica).  They represent the seed harvest from my entire crop from this June. 

I don't need more Loquats, but I can never, ever resist planting these seeds.  Alas, they don't stay this gorgeous as they dry out or I'd have necklaces of them to wear every day.  As it is, they are tucked into a ziplock in my fridge, waiting for planting time....which will be when I get to it.  Soon, I hope.

FYI, the last third of the Loquat harvest looked like this:

For whatever genetic reason, I notice that the fruits of this tree are less "fuzzy" than most Loquats. And you can see that these got bug pecked, even hidden under those hard, ridged leaves.

In previous years, I have shared my harvest - at least one or two to Rob.  Not this year.  Less than a dozen Loquats.  I ate them all.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sybil, it's John Sterrett. sterrett2@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

The sharing of ideas, experience and helpful information between one gardener and another has always been the very best of gardening traditions.