Monday, May 16, 2011

Poolside Raised Beds

As part of my continuing effort to make our gardening as ruthlessly efficient as possible, making large allowances for our declining interest in sweating "in the field" for hours all summer, I've been moving some of our raised beds into the pool gardens - - previously the only slightly formal gardens we kept.  So far I'm quite pleased with the results!


As you can see, I left a few of the Rainbow Chard just for color accents amid the Romaine lettuce and Pak Choi.  Because this bed is well protected from sun, it was wonderful for salad greens but I shall have to find something very shade tolerant for the summer.  Some herbs, like Tarragon, are already thriving in the sunny corners.

I love having my garden chair right there in the shade!

We also made a super sunny bed next to the porch for tomatoes and peppers, our summertime favorites.  Fun to see them growing up towards the porch all summer, flanked by the Strawberry Verte Fig and the Basjoo Bananas.  Fig brings on huge fruit crops... no such love from the bananas, but they lend such a great tropical air that I can't resist them.


My sister supplies me with the wacky, colorful Talaveres pottery frogs.  I love them!


Nice to finally be getting around to the gardens..... we've had BEAUTIFUL weather for it most of the month.  Yep, my allergies are murder - but even that can't deter my enthusiasm at this point.  I may sound froggier than my frog planters, but that's just the price!  :D

1 comment:

  1. Sybil, the raised beds by the house are a great idea and they look natural, like they've always been there! I also battled allergies this spring but it didn't slow me down too much. How many figs (guesstimate) do you get off a tree of that size? Happy gardening,
    Dave

    ReplyDelete

The sharing of ideas, experience and helpful information between one gardener and another has always been the very best of gardening traditions.