Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sept. 11 - Community Gardening Festival

A couple of my new Ruby Red chard  plants
I'm looking forward to being part of this year's Community Gardening Festival Saturday (Sept. 11, 2010). 

Each year this fun event is put on by the Virginia Beach Master Gardeners. This year's theme: Censtible Gardening is one I can't resist. I'll be preaching edible gardening with a talk entitled "Stop Shopping - Start Growing Your Groceries!"  

Okay, maybe the title's a little over the top -- but I'm so convinced that you can grow far more of your fruits and produce than you are now (or perhaps more than you can imagine growing now) that I get excited about sharing edible gardening info with other plant-minded folks.  I'll be explaining how to select  "best  picks" for your edible gardening efforts, how and where to plant your edibles and offering some creative inspiration for creating, upgrading, and/or expanding the edible parts of your landscape.

The festival kicks off at 10:30 am.  I'll be speaking at 12:30.  (Hopefully everyone will not have not wandered off to finish the first silent auction or to find some lunch!)  Probably not a good time to pick for my talk since lots is going on at that moment... but lots goes on throughout the day, that's what makes it fun!  This is going to be a terrific event -- I hope to see many fellow gardeners and local food lovers there.

Hmmm... I don't see any food vendors on the list - WAIT!  There's a bake sale - my favorite event!  Well, no... that would be the Master Gardener plant sale... or the other wonderful speakers.  AFTER I score a couple of bake sale brownies.....  after all, I have to support our dedicated, local gardening volunteers, don't I?  So grab a some terrific, inexpensive plants, a couple of baked goods for a happy snack and come over to join in on the class and discussion on "growing your groceries" !

No comments:

Post a Comment

The sharing of ideas, experience and helpful information between one gardener and another has always been the very best of gardening traditions.