Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The No Impact Project

No Impact Man: The Adventures of a Guilty Liberal Who Attempts to Save the Planet, and the Discoveries He Makes AboOkay, I'll admit it.  I consider myself to be reasonably "green" by common standards.  I recycle, I compost, I grow a lot of my own fruits and vegetables, I raise chickens for my own eggs, I teach other folks how to do all these things...and I work hard to stay aware of my own impact,  but how do I measure up in comparison to folks like Colin Beavan, author of No Impact Man, who changed his life to reduce his family's impact on the planet to as near to zero as possible?

To find out, I'm taking part in the The No Impact Experiment. As explained on the No Impact Project website, the experiment "is a one-week carbon cleanse.  It is a chance for you to see what a difference no-impact living can have on your quality of life. It’s not about giving up creature comforts but an opportunity for you to test whether the modern “conveniences” you take for granted are actually making you happier or just eating away at your time and money."

Here is the webpage:  http://noimpactproject.org/experiment/ 
I'm working on lessening my impact right now, but the official next start date is January 3, 2011.  (Notice how thoughtfully you're allowed to get through the holidays - guaranteed to leave you wanting to clean up your life!)

Questions?  Go here:  http://noimpactproject.org/experiment/faqs/

C'mon ... you know it's going to be enlightening at the very least, probably entertaining, insightful and - who knows? - possibly life-changing, in a good way.

"But the question isn't whether or not I make a difference.  The question is whether I want to be the type of person who tries." - Colin Beavan

1 comment:

  1. I've always thought of myself as being "green" - at least more so than most of the people I know, but I'm eager to learn more ways. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete

The sharing of ideas, experience and helpful information between one gardener and another has always been the very best of gardening traditions.