Friday, July 23, 2010

Local Farmers Markets

Oh, the joy of local farmers markets!  All the stands are just bursting with wonderful, fragrant fruits and fresh-picked veggies.  It makes me wonder why I garden at all -- the offerings I find already grown, picked, cleaned and ready-to-cook are so amazing.  It's not just corn and tomatoes, either. The changing palates of local consumers have encouraged the farms I know to really expand their offerings... unusual, creamy melons, heirloom tomatoes, peppers of all sorts, wild eggplants... wow!

It's wonderful to see all the new local markets that have appeared in the last couple of years. Once the Virginia Beach Farmers Market was the only freshly grown food outlet, save for a few backyard growers with hand-lettered signs in the front yard.  Now there are active, fun, well-supported markets flourishing in almost every community area - I find new ones every week.

Want a quick way to locate all the markets available in your area? Click here for the Market Locator provided by the Virginia Farm Bureau. At the Buy Fresh Buy Local Hampton Roads website I can also find a great listing of local Farm Markets, family farms - with produce, poultry, cheese, eggs and meats, fish and seafood vendors.... everything a bountiful summer table needs - or, if I don't feel like cooking, I can find local restaurants to cook and serve the food to me, far better than I can do it myself. Now that's summer living!

Yum!
Sybil

No comments:

Post a Comment

The sharing of ideas, experience and helpful information between one gardener and another has always been the very best of gardening traditions.