Friday, August 14, 2009

The August Doldrums....


Image: Haze turning to rain over the back fields.
The Dog Days of Summer are now in full blowsy, August abandon. Everything wilts, including me. This is a hard time of year for a natural gardener. Sooty mold, blackspot, powdery mildew, slugs... oh, all the unwanted things that love the heat and humidity, are coming on. Hot and sweaty, it's hard to care - but I know we do. All of us summer gardeners who have worked so hard and brought our gardens to the edge of seasonal perfection, large and full of harvest promise, we sweat, drag hoses and pull weeds.... to the point of being overcome by the heat and humidity. Things start to slide. Everything looks a bit "has been".... summer annuals, vegetable and floral, are starting to fade, to fall over, to look like they need a rest.
Come to think of it, I look exactly the same way.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't have said it any better! I am pulling weeds and doing maintenance in the rain today to avoid the heat...too bad the mosquitoes love it out there, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We gardeners never throw in the towel, Erin - as you prove! - even when we're busy using it to mop ourselves and swat at mosquitoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since my garden is hidden behind my shop I wait until the weekend to do the dirty work...wear a bathing suit, turn on the hose so I can squirt down as needed and set a chair in the shade for my breaks. It's still looking pretty nice out there but everything is leaning due to the winds that whip through.
    I carry a trash bucket while I am harvesting in the mornings so I can snip the yucky stems off the tomatoes..I may not get everything but it definatey keeps it less overwhelming on the days I set aside to be out there all day.

    ReplyDelete

The sharing of ideas, experience and helpful information between one gardener and another has always been the very best of gardening traditions.